Make this the best summer ever with the BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge! Click here for details on how to participate. These books were sent to me for review and are part of BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge.
Book: You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott
Katie Knox’s world revolves around her daughter, Devon, a talented gymnast with Olympic dreams. Everything Katie and her husband, Eric, do is in order to promote their gifted girl. Then, a death rocks life at the gym and everything changes. Devon’s performance suffers as rumors swirl around her, and the once tight-knit community starts taking sides. Unsettled by the death of a once familiar face at the gym, Katie attempts to put the pieces of the last few months together, but the final picture may not be one she wants to see.
The quickest way to describe You Will Know Me is Little Girls in Pretty Boxes meets murder mystery. Ambition is the heart of this story. Parents vicariously live their dreams through their daughters. Alliances are formed and broken as the gym parents align with whoever will benefit them most. Blind ambition covers every page of this story, I could almost call it a modern adaptation of Macbeth.
I didn’t like Katie Knox. I was never sure if she was just stupid or willfully blind to the events happening around her. In fact, no one in this book is likable, and I’m pretty sure that’s the point. Parents use their children like race horses, vying for prestige while their children do all the work. Olympic glory casts a wide spotlight, and everybody wants a place in it.
I liked this book, and I didn’t like it. This is a book I never wanted to put down, yet the characters are so cold hearted. I was often distracted by my own history in a very competitive athletic environment and couldn’t help wondering if the author was using this book as catharsis for her own athletic experience or if she was an outsider only able to see the sordid side of sports.
You Will Know Me is a fascinating thriller. From the bleak cover to the menacing title, everything about this book is full of tension. The story is unsettling, but it makes you think. How far is too far when it comes to achieving your dreams? Despite my mixed feelings for the book, I found the story memorable and definitely recommend it for fans of thrillers and sports dramas.
Other books to read this summer…
♥ So Close by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
Amanda Beth Luker wants to escape her life in a trailer park, and when she meets Tom Davis and his wife, Lindsay, her dreams of a new life start to come true. But, soon she must choose between a relationship with the wealthy Pax Westerbrook and her loyalties to Tom.
♥ All Is Not Forgotten by Wendy Walker
Life seems perfect until Jenny Kramer is attacked at a party. After being given a drug that erases her memory of the attack, Jenny is left dealing with the physical fall out and the gaps in her memory. As her father’s anger grows and her mother sinks into denial, the question of the identity of Jenny’s attacker looms larger.
♥ The Choices We Make by Karma Brown
Childhood friends Hannah and Kate have always been there for each other. When Hannah and her husband find out that they will not be able to have children, Kate volunteers to be Hannah’s surrogate. Everything seems to be working out and then tragedy strikes.
♥ Untethered by Julie Lawson Timmer
When Char Hawthorn’s husband dies in a car crash, her relationship with her stepdaughter, Allie, deteriorates. Soon she is dealing with the possibility of Allie moving out on top of her grief. But, when a foster girl she tutors goes missing, Char is left questioning everything she thought she knew before the tragedy.
Make this the best summer ever with BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge! Click here for details on how to participate. These books were sent to me for review and are part of BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge.
In non-bookish news…
I’m featured in this week’s Links à la Mode! Check out all the fashionable links featured this week…
June 30, 2016
- Aesthetic Distance: Thelma & Louise: The Ultimate Girl Power Road Trip Movie
- A Glamorous Revelation: A Fashionista’s Reading List
- Cat Eyes & Skinny Jeans: Fashion Folio (Summer Nights)
- Cubicle Chic: Business Travel – The Good, the bad and the ugly
- Dresscode: High Fashion: Top 10 Summer Flats
- Elements of Ellis: Striped Maternity Dress
- Everest Says: The Off Shoulder from Work to Weekend
- I’m so Versaille: Get Some Work Done: LVL Lash Treatment
- Happy. Pretty. Sweet: Confessions of a Small Time Blogger
- Les Assorties: Antoine De Almeida: A Fresh Look at Street Style
- Ms. Fabulous: Coney Island Mermaid Parade
- Myself Expressed: Inspiration Board: Spring RTW 2016: Trussardi
- Petite Silver Vixen: How to Style Culottes 3 Ways
- Tales of Two: Going Baroque in Winter
- The Tastemaker: Be like Beyonce and wear a bodysuit
- This Season’s Gold: City View in Stripes and Pockets
- Tokes’ Take on Style: 3 Ways to Style 1 Print Skirt
- Treats and Trends: 5 Most Helpful Photography Tips for Bloggers
- Trendee Toad: 3 Stylish Office Looks for this Summer
- Vanity and Me: Shoetique: Going for Gold
Visit Independent Fashion Bloggers on Facebook to find out how to submit your posts to Links a la Mode.
This blog uses affiliate and referral links. Clicking a link costs you nothing, but the small commission from your click/purchase helps support this blog. Thank you!