It’s that time of the year! The leaves are changing colors. Everything is pumpkin flavored. And, there are new books to snuggle up with next to the fireplace. It’s time for the BookSparks Fall Reading Challenge! Continuing with the university theme, we are in our junior year and will be covering a variety of topics. Make yourself a Pumpkin Pecan Pie Smoothie, and let’s get started!
Book: The Witch House of Persimmon Point by Suzanne Palmieri
Course Title: Southern Witchcraft 401
Department: Gothic Literature
Description: When Byrd Whalen returns to her family’s ancestral home to uncover secrets threatening to destroy a legacy she holds dear, the dark haunted histories of the Amore women reveal themselves, leading Byrd to question everything she’s ever believed about herself in Palmieri’s fourth novel.
My thoughts on The Witch House of Persimmon Point…
Last year I read Suzanne Palmieri’s The Witch of Bourbon Street for BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge, so I was excited to get the chance to read another one of her books. However, her latest novel takes a darker and more personal turn, delving into child abuse, teen pregnancy, and generations of bad choices.
When a book opens with a trigger warning, you know you are in for a ride, and while Palmieri mostly avoids graphic material, the Amore women experience many disturbing situations with consequences that trickle down the generations. Palmieri’s lyrical writing spins a tale of women held hostage to the past and a house haunted by the crimes that everyone looked past.
The Witch House of Persimmon Point is a sad, angry, moving novel that can best be summed up by this quote from one of its characters: “It’s a book of spells. Dark magic, Mama. Deep dark loss magic. It’s a book of loss and shadow and secrets…”
You can find out more about Suzanne Palmieri by visiting her website.
This book was sent to me for review and is part of BookSparks Fall Reading Challenge.
In non-bookish news…
My post is featured in this week’s Links à la Mode! Check out all the fashionable links featured this week…
Links à la Mode, October 27th
- Attire Club:6 Tricks for Impeccably Polished Leather Shoes
- Chiconomical: How to Wear a Hex Tie: Workwear Chic
- Cover Mum:Statement Jumper
- Fancier’s World: Why Striped Sweater is a Fall Essential?
- Fashionopolis: Can Plus Size Be Aspirational?
- Five Foot Nothing Shopping: Styling a Shift Dress for Fall
- Goldwill Digger:5 Thrifting Mistakes You’re Making at Goodwill
- Green Acres Meets Paris: The Look of Leather & Lace
- Happy. Pretty. Sweet.: How to Support Other Bloggers
- Have Clothes, Will Travel: My Top 10 Favorite Things I did in Japan
- I’m a Norbyah: Style Minute: Dressing up? No occasion necessary!
- Living After Midnite: Pumpkin Jack-o-Lantern Nails
- Love Bella Vida: 7 Iconic Dresses
- My Golden Beauty:How to Wear a Poncho
- O Struck:Matte : Another find from a MAC lipstick subtle collection
- Outfit Zest: DIY Candy Corn Ombré Tights
- Pudding Monster: How To Look Cool in A Turtle Neck / How to Style Turtleneck Top
- Sweet Tea Salvage:Halloween Costume: Lydia Deetz
- Trendee Toad: Just Buy the Darn Shoes!
- Vanity and Me: Nadia Minkoff – Luxury Handbags
Visit Independent Fashion Bloggers on Facebook to find out how to submit your posts to Links a la Mode.
This blog uses affiliate and referral links. Clicking a link costs you nothing, but the small commission from your click/purchase helps support this blog. Thank you!