I’m not very fashionable for a fashion blogger. Working from home has made me very lazy when it comes to putting together stylish ensembles. However, reading The Curated Closet: A Simple System for Discovering Your Personal Style and Building Your Dream Wardrobe by Anuschka Rees (read my review here) inspired me to rethink my work-at-home wardrobe. One of the tips from the book is to take outfit photos for two weeks in order to see what works, what doesn’t, and what you want to change. Here’s what I learned from two weeks of outfit photos…
What Two Weeks of Outfit Photos Taught Me About My Style
1. I really like plaid. In a span of two weeks, I wore a plaid shirt four times, and it was really hard to hold myself back from wearing those shirts more often. (I posted about my love of plaid here.)
2. Chambray is a close second. Chambray made an appearance three times over the two weeks. Between plaid and chambray, I’d say my current style is pretty laid back.
3. Leggings and skinny jeans are my friends. When it comes to bottoms, I like a close fitting silhouette. Victoria’s Secret leggings, American Eagle jeggings, and Gap skinny jeans are my go-to pieces.
4. I think I’ll pass on flares. I really like the look of flares on other people, but wearing them makes me feel bottom heavy and short. Not a good feeling.
5. I want more tunic tops. This top from Stitch Fix is perfect to wear over leggings, and it’s great for layering under a cozy cardigan or trendy moto jacket.
6. I love flats. Despite being a whopping 5′ 1″ in socks and a ponytail, you will find me most often wearing flats and not heels. Boots and ballet flats are my shoes of choice with the occasional sneaker thrown in.
7. The utility jacket and saddle bag are my favorite fall purchases. I’ve posted about this Gap utility jacket before, and this Rebecca Minkoff MAC Saddle Bag is straight off my wishlist and came to me courtesy of Shopbop!
8. I want to up my accessories game. A scarf or a necklace can really finish off a look, but so often I forget to add one. With winter coming, I think I’ll be playing with more scarves.
9. I love to repeat. When something works, I just want to keep wearing it. Usually I wear the same outfit on repeat but this style challenge forced me to wear a different look each day. My new goal is to repeat pieces without wearing the exact same look every week.
10. My life is pretty casual. Whenever I go to the store, I want to look at party dresses, but I don’t really need another cocktail dress. What I do need are cute, comfortable clothes for running errands and going to classes.
Taking two weeks of outfit photos really helped me to see what pieces I wear over and over again and which pieces I don’t like wearing because they don’t feel like me. It, also, forced me to experiment with new styles instead of repeating the same look all of the time.
Will you take this photo challenge?
This blog uses affiliate and referral links. Clicking a link costs you nothing, but the small commission from your click/purchase helps support this blog. Thank you!