April has a reputation for being a wet and dreary month, which is bad news for outdoor activities but perfect weather for reading. If you’re stuck in doors looking for something to do, here are two books for a rainy day…
Last week I shared the BookSparks April Reading Challenge, and today, I’m back with my thoughts on A Ring of Truth: A Henrietta and Inspector Clive Novel by Michelle Cox. This is the second book in the series, but reading the first book isn’t necessary, although there are frequent references to the first case. While I haven’t read the first book (A Girl Like You), A Ring of Truth is a cozy mystery that follows Henrietta, a former taxi dancer, and her fiancé, Inspector Clive Howard.
Newly engaged, Henrietta and Clive are still figuring out their relationship. When Clive reveals he is from a wealthy family and that he wants Henrietta to stay with his parents while he works a case in the city, Henrietta is thrown into a world she doesn’t understand. Befriending the servants leads Henrietta into an unexpected mystery that may do more than just jeopardize her relationship with Clive.
This mystery is just right for a rainy day. Read it with a cup of tea.
This book was sent to me for review and is part of the BookSparks April Reading Challenge.
If you need to brighten your day with a little creativity, don’t miss Portrait Revolution: Inspiration from Around the World For Creating Art in Multiple Mediums and Styles by Julia L. Kay, founder of Julia Kay’s Portrait Party (JKPP), an online community of artists who make portraits of each other. The book is packed with portrait inspiration and is broken down by media, style, theme, and featured artists.
It’s fun seeing how different artists can work from the same photo and create such different portraits. From collage to watercolor, the book shows that there are many ways to make a portrait. After flipping through the beautiful artwork in Portrait Revolution, you’ll be tempted to host your own portrait party or at least get out your coloring book.
This book was provided by Blogging For Books in exchange for an honest review.
Linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy!
In non-bookish news…
My post, How to Update Your Beauty Routine for Spring, is featured in this week’s Links à la Mode! Check out all the fashionable links featured this week…
Links à la Mode, April 6th
- Aesthetic Distance: Social Media Makes Us Better Feminists
- April Was Here: Bowknot Blouse and Ruffled Sleeves
- Beyond Her Curls: The Perfect Spring Jacket
- Cammeo Head to Toe: Adventures in Shopping: To Maternity or Not To Maternity
- Cat Eyes & Skinny Jeans: April Crush List
- Elements of Ellis: Embroidered Moto Jacket
- Fashionista Momma: Blush Jumpsuit
- Five Foot Nothing Shopping: Translate Runway to Everyday Fashion!
- Happy Pretty Sweet: How to Update Your Beauty Routine for Spring
- I’m a Norbyah: The Right Stripes
- It’s True Blog: How To Create New Content When You Don’t Have Any Inspiration
- Lil Miss JB Style: Loft Decor
- Middle of Somewhere: Flatform Sandals & The Weekly Style Edit Linkup
- Tales of Two: 7 Tips for Visiting Pearl Harbor
- The Outfit Repeater: Behind the Scenes: The Making of an Outfit Post
SPONSOR: Amazon’s Shopbop SUNDRY, Free People Activewear, MONROW Sweatpants, Liana Clothing, ALALA, Champion Premium Reverse Weave, Straw Bags, Fringe Slides, Statement Jewelry, Men’s EA7 by Emporio Armani
Visit Independent Fashion Bloggers on Facebook to find out how to submit your posts to Links a la Mode.
What are your rainy day reads?
This blog uses affiliate and referral links. Clicking a link costs you nothing, but the small commission from your click/purchase helps support this blog. Thank you!