I love red velvet, and Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse for treating yourself to some red velvet deliciousness. These Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies with White Chocolate Frosting are so easy to make, but nobody will know that because these cookies look so fancy.
This recipe is the result of combining and tweaking a few different shortbread recipes and the result is so good. There is just a hint of cocoa to the shortbread, and the white chocolate frosting takes everything to a whole new level. Plus, this recipe doesn’t call for eggs and can be made with gluten-free flour.
The secret to this pretty cookie is the impressive red and white contrast. For the red, I used almost a whole tube of red food coloring, but you can color as you see fit. The white chocolate frosting uses one of my favorite baking hacks. Simply pour baking chips onto the cookie right after you pull it out of the oven. Pop the pan in the oven for a minute to melt the chips then smooth the melted goodness over the cookie with a knife. Yummy!
- 2 sticks salted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups gluten-free flour or all-purpose flour
- red gel food coloring
- 1 bag of white chocolate baking chips
- In a mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and corn starch.
- When it has mixed together, add red food coloring until you get the desired color.
- Stir in flour.
- Scoop dough into 9 x 9 in. square pan. Press dough down with spatula until the top is mostly smooth.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- As soon as it is out of the oven, pour white chocolate chips on top of cookie then pop back in the oven for about a minute.
- When chips are soft and melt-y, use a knife to smooth the white chocolate on top of cookie like a frosting.
- Allow cookies to cool before slicing and serving.
Valentine's Day is the perfect excuse for treating yourself to some red velvet deliciousness like these Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies with White Chocolate Frosting. Click To Tweet
Linking up with The Happy Now Blog Link-Up.
What’s your favorite thing about Valentine’s Day?
P.S. If you liked this post, you might, also, like Glossies Made Me Do It: Red Velvet Heart Cookies!
This blog uses affiliate and referral links. Clicking a link costs you nothing, but the small commission from your click/purchase helps support this blog. Thank you!